Subject: Re: Installing use current snapshot RAMDISK kernel
To: Sageev George <sageev@bmsrs.usc.edu>
From: Gregory McGarry <g.mcgarry@ieee.org>
List: port-hp300
Date: 07/13/2002 12:59:26
Sageev George wrote:

> I am now trying to use the sysinst available
> on the netbsd.RAMDISK.  As you thought,
> this version had no illegal instruction errors,
> but there is still a problem: Both the upgrade
> and install menu options fail with the error:

>     Command: /usr/mdec/installboot /usr/mdec/sd1boot /dev/rsd1a
>      Press any key to continue
> ----
> Usage: installboot bootprog device
> /usr/mdec/sd1boot: bootprog must be a regular file
>
> It appears that there is a bug in that installboot
> is trying to install a file called "sd1boot",
> which does not exist in the ramdisk's filesystem.

sysinst won't get that far on my machine with such little memory.
So this is a useful discovery.  I placed a new sysinst binary
at:

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/gmcgarry/hp300/sysinst/

Is this useful, or would you prefer complete ramdisk kernels?

> One request: If you haven't already added this to
> the instructions, could you tell people running with
> non-hp300 emulation to exit the sysinst menu and run
> the "export TERM=vt100" command?

Yeah, this is annoying.  I'll accumulate these notes
and add them when (if?) sysinst becomes the preferred
installation method.

	-- Gregory McGarry <g.mcgarry@ieee.org>