Subject: Re: Xhpux
To: None <port-hp300@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-hp300
Date: 05/06/2002 15:33:25
On 06.05.02, 15:09:51, Michael Lorenz wrote:
> Hi there,

>  I've just installed the HP/UX Xserver package and ran into the
> following problem - the server tries to start, waits some seconds
> and then complains about /usr/lib/grmd not being executable. The
> binary is in place ( under /emul/hpux/usr/lib of course, but ld'ing
> to /usr/lib didn't change anything ).

"in place" does not mean executable; did you check that the x flag is
in fact set on the binary? On my system grmd is in fact setuid root,
though I'm not sure this is actually neccessary, since the Xserver
itself is only started by root here.

By "ld'ing" did you actually mean "ln'ing" for making a symbolic link?

Should not change anything, though, since for emulated programs,
lookup is done first in /emul/<arch><path> and when that fails in
<path>, as can easily be seen by doing a ktrace.

> HP/UX emulation should work because Xhpux is able to complain. The
> link from /usr/spool/bla to /tmp/.X11... is set. I'm running plain
> 1.5.2 on a 345 with a 6 bit Catseye.

I've been using Xhpux on a 425t and 433t with 1.5.1, 1.5.2, 1.5.3,
and several instances of 1.5.3_ALPHA and _RC1 witout a lot of
troubles.

--
Bernd Sieker

Anagrams for NetBSD-core: