Subject: X11
To: None <port-hp300@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Wolfson <michael@nosflow.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 05/04/2002 13:05:59
Howdy,

So, if I understand the situation properly, the X server has been moved out of
the distribution and hasn't been updated since (according to the dates)
NetBSD 1.0.  Ouch.

I assume that xbase.tgz and the like in the distribution are XFree86-based
X11R6.3 clients.  The tarball of the old X stuff includes all the X11R5
clients.
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/hp300/hp300_X11R5.tar.gz

Presumably one doesn't need to install *all* of that stuff.  What exactly
is necessary to get the old X11R5 server running with the current X11R6.3
clients?  Just the static XhpBSD?  Some fonts it requires?  options
COMPAT_10?

In the absence of a more modern X server, it'd be nice if we could package
up just the essential X11R5 stuff so folks don't have to download the whole
20 MB X11R5 distribution just to get a working server.  If someone gave me
a list of the essential files and requirements, I could put that tarball on
the ftp sites.

Thanks,
  -- MW