Subject: Re: HELP!
To: None <linc@thelinuxlink.net>
From: Jarkko Teppo <jarkko.teppo@er-grp.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 12/28/2001 08:57:22
> Ok, I finally dug out my hp300 and found it to be a 380 (or 385).
> Anyhow I followed the netbsd install text and got it to boot to the
> sys_inst util (rbooting from another netbsd box).  The rest gets a
> little vague for me..  Do I have to install the miniroot from NFS to
> the hdd, or can I boot the miniroot from NFS?  Can someone break down
> what I need to do next from the sys_inst> prompt on?  I would *really*
> like to get this thing running and doing something more productive than
> being a really cool
> bookend.  Thanks!

Can't help you with sys_inst, sorry (I've used it only once). The "easiest"
way to install would be (we'll this is what I do) to create a minimal
diskless install with at least base.tgz + etc.tgz (+kern). Untar, MAKEDEV,
configure /etc/rc.conf + /etc/fstab + /etc/ttys (or just follow the
Diskless-howto:
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/

After getting that working just disklabel your drive, installboot,
untar the kits you need and fix the little things: MAKEDEV, /etc/*
(I always forget /etc/localtime :-)

If you decide to go that route you can comfort yourself in knowing that
at least you'll learn a lot:)

Good luck,
--
jht