Subject: 9-track questions
To: None <port-hp300@netbsd.org>
From: Jarkko Teppo <jarkko.teppo@er-grp.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 07/16/2001 10:53:09
Hi!

Spent a few hours last week fighting this 7974A 9-track with NetBSD-1.4.3 and
HP-UX. Here are a few problems:

1. The drive will not stream with NetBSD. When using device rmt8 it goes into
   start-stop mode (I think) where it starts and stops in one second, approx.
   When I tried rmt12 it read for two seconds and then spent one second
   "thinking". Other devices (rmt0, rmt4) didn't work.

2. Doesn't work with Fast HP-IB with NetBSD, just reports the usual
   "can't get stat  bp== NULL". Works (sort of, see 1.) with built-in HP-IB.

Has anyone else tried one of these 1600 bpi beasts with NetBSD ? I get the
same problems with a 7979A (also 1600bpi).

Trust me, there's a big difference between streaming and
"shake-the-drive-around-the-room-with-start-stop" -mode :-)

--
jht