Subject: Re: serial conslole problems
To: Mario Premke <mapr0003@stud.uni-sb.de>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 06/28/2001 22:54:11
At 11:19 PM +0200 6/27/01, Mario Premke wrote:

:)Hi,
:)I have a hp300 (model: 98563x ; 68020(16Mhz)).
:)There is a 25pin serial interface at the back as well as
:)4 DIP switches. I connected the serial interface with
:)a non null modem cable to a serial terminal (9600bps,
:)8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit) and turned the third DIP
:)switch ON and then started the hp - but at the terminal
:)nothing happened - what am I doing wrong ???
:)Thanks in advance ...

AFAIR, that should work.  Then again, I recall some weirdness with regards
to null'ness of serial consoles.  Try a null modem cable.  Also, try
switching the switch to off -- the sometimes had their DIP switches
soldered in with the label upside down (though the silk-screened info on
the board is correct).

BTW, you should hear the system buzz when you first turn it on, then some
seconds later a beep (as it announces that it has found the HP-HIL
keyboard/mouse bus).

Good luck,
  -- MW