Subject: Re: bootrom images
To: None <port-hp300@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-hp300
Date: 05/26/2001 22:02:14
> --Just so you know.  (I haven't looked thru the messages yet and
> someone might have answered this)  The RBootD MUST and NEEDS to be
> running.  The INITAL boot query packet DOES NOT show up on TCP dumps
> because it IS NOT a TCP packet.  It is a SPECIAL HP-RBOOT packet.

I didn't say "TCP dump", I said "tcpdump".  tcpdump is the name of a
program that may have started out as a TCP dumper, but is now much
more; it is capable of showing - in at least a rudimentary fashion -
anything the machine's Ethernet interface is willing to receive.

It is perfectly capable of picking up the initial rboot packet, when it
gets sent; see the post in which I describe my experience with my 425e.

> After running the RBootD program you will have a selection of boot
> programs one of which is: SYSUBOOT.

Actually, no; the option I was offered was SYS_INST.  (And I believe it
would normally be SYS_UBOOT, not SYSUBOOT.)

> --The 400 Series Serial port is a Physical port that has MUTIPLE
> ports in it.  (Please check the FAQ's in the HP300 Port area of
> NetBSD's site.

My dear RANDOM CAPITALIZER, I've read the FAQs; I've wandered around
the stuff pointed to off the Ports/hp300/ pages several times.  The
multiple-ports-on-one-connector stuff does not match my hardware; the
machine has three male DB-9s, marked "RS-232 1", "RS-232 2", and
"RS-232 3".  There is a DB-25, but it's marked "HP PARALLEL".

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign