Subject: Re: new hp9000/433s: can't seem to get SYS_INST to run
To: None <port-hp300@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-hp300
Date: 05/22/2001 23:42:17
On 22.05.01, 13:29:19, Michael Wolfson wrote:
> At 8:28 PM +0200 5/22/01, Bernd Sieker wrote:
>
> :)Domain-boot mode seems to have the serial console enabled at all
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> :)times, so I could use that to switch it to HP-UX boot mode. (The
    ^^^^^

That might only be true when in "Service" mode. I don't know if
"Service" mode does anything at all when the machine is configured in
HP-UX compatible boot mode.

> :)instructions in the FAQ are not sufficient to switch it from Domain to
> :)HP-UX completely blindly, the timing of some keystrokes seems to be
> :)crucial).
>
> Hmmm.  I don't have physical acces to my hp433s anymore.  How should I
> change the FAQ?

Hard to say, once I had set up a null-modem cable, the menus showed up
on the terminal when the system was in "Service" mode. I might revert
the machine back to Domain boot mode to check what exactly might be
changed, like giving some estimates on how long to wait before typing
"CF".

The problem that I remember was that my brother and I tried for hours
(without any kind of visual feedback, just using a HIL keyboard) to
put the machine to HP-UX boot mode, without success. We had no idea
_when_ exactly to type "CF" to enter configuration.

It was sunday, I had no null-modem cable, and the machine has an
unsupported (ISA) frame buffer with a _very_ strange connector (3
small co-ax connectors enclosed in a sub-d-type like frame, but
without any additional pins like Sun's or SGI's monitor connector. So
we had no terminal and no monitor.

> :)Once you have the serial console enabled temporarily you can enable it
> :)permamently and also select boot devices and other things. Just type
> :)"C" <RETURN> after the initial boot messages. (Permanently enabling
> :)the serial console on my machine is different from what is shown in
> :)the FAQ, one menu item is missing here in one menu, ...)
>
> Really?  What's in the FAQ is an actual serial session that I went through,
> changing it from local to serial on my 433s.  What do think the FAQ is
> missing?

Depending on the hardware present, there seem to be differences in the
ROM menu:

In the menu where I have to select which interface I wish to
configure, I have only 4 choices instead of the 5 shown. I don't have
the 400s right here, so I'm not sure which one is missing, it might be
HP-IB. The consequence is that RS-232 setup appears at position 4,
instead of 5. Thus typing "5" blindly will achieve nothing.

Luckily setting the console to "R"emote temporarily worked, and then I
could make the setting permanent from a terminal.

If I remember correctly I also had BOOTROM Rev. 1.1, so that was not
the difference.

>   -- MW

Regards,

	Bernd