Subject: Re: did the list server die
To: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 05/02/2001 08:50:23
At 11:00 AM +0200 5/2/01, Bernd Sieker wrote:

:)... now I have an old 400t and a 425t (and maybe get another 400s,
:)with that beatifully weird tower case),

's' stands fo "strider".  Not sure of the etymology of that word, but it
does look like a tower got rammed into a fat minitower.

:)It's even usable as an X-Terminal with its Catseye graphics, and a
:)friend is going to use his as a router as soon as he figures out how to
:)install a second network adapter.

Change the DIP switches on the second ethernet card so it has a different
select code than the on-board ethernet.  I've got a scan from the manual
with the DIP switch definitions for the "98643A LAN Interface" on my site:
http://www.blobulent.com/hp300/peripherals

:)> But seriously, I've never had any hardware as stable and rock solid as
:)> the older HP machines. Complement the good hardware with a good OS
:)
:)After fiddling for days with the setup (PCI cards always tend to all use
:)the _same_ interrupt) I now have very stable PCs, too. Running NetBSD,
:)of course, and being bootserver to the HPs.

Yeah, but the hp300's ship that way :)

  -- MW