Subject: Re: did the list server die
To: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
From: None <jarkko@mail.er-grp.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 05/02/2001 12:27:59
On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 11:00:51AM +0200, Bernd Sieker wrote:
> OOn 02.05.01, 10:34:28, jarkko@mail.er-grp.com wrote:
>
> Yes, one of the really neat side effects of having a modern operating
> system that's basically the same on very different hardware. And getting
> software in source code.
>
> What I'd like to see is, of course, MI-SCSI (so I could use the machine
> as a scanner server) and an X11R6 server, but I guess I should not
> complain,
> but rather start coding. If only I knew where to start.

For X11R6 you can get the xhpbsd sources mix them with X11R6plx, add sugar
and that's it. Or.. (this would be cool) write wscons-support for hp300,
some sort of generic framebuffer description system that holds the
features of the device(s) (probably best to start out with just resolution
and depth) and then write a generic X-server to use the wscons framebuffer.
Sigh, so many ideas, so little time.

For MI-SCSI I *think* there's a similar (same?) Fuji chip in the sources
already, but I'm not sure.

> > Yep, all I need is the FOCUS instruction set, gcc backend, boot block details,
> > and some other stuff. After that a small amount of code to get SMP on those
> > three processors:) Plenty of testing help too, I know of 4-9 users at the
>
> Sounds like a few weeks' work. I didn't even know about hp500 machines.

They're lovely. 1984, three processors, HP-UX 5.1.
http://www.tec.puv.fi/~s99137/kuvat/cover.gif

--
jht