Subject: Re: 425e and the boot prom
To: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
From: Michael Joosten <joost@c-lab.de>
List: port-hp300
Date: 02/12/2001 23:34:47
Gavan Fantom wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Kevin Read wrote:
>
> > some time ago (or rather more years ;) someone offered up to read the 425e
> > boot prom if it were shipped to them. Is this person still around
> > somewhere? I'm still willing to ship the little thing, if someone can read
> > those things. And I've still got a working 425e to ship to developers, if
> > someone is interested in implementing framebuffer *HINT HINT* ;)

Perhaps one doesn't even have to pull it out...

I one managed to 'scavenge' the Apollo PROM by using kermit and a Perl skript,
to convert the dump format of its 'MD' into a binary. If the 425e has the same
'duality' built in as the 400's, then this might be sufficient.

No, I'm not promising anything... I did feed the binary into an old Disassembler
(Detective on Atari ST), but I don't really pursued this. The Apollo is dead now
(well, in limbo...), and somebody else solved the puzzle of that utility chip in
the 400. I can't still use the Apollo keyboard...
As I'm currently 'overwhelmed' by scrap silicon, I'm even thinking of getting
rid of the 400...

Michael