Subject: Re: Printer
To: Gerard Pietersen <icarus@dse.nl>
From: Jarkko Teppo <jate@UWasa.Fi>
List: port-hp300
Date: 09/21/2000 09:49:06
On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 08:54:11AM +0200, Gerard Pietersen wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 08:00:50AM +0300, Jarkko Teppo wrote:
>  >
>  >Depending on your setup you might need to compile a new kernel, or not.
>  >If GENERIC has (at boot)
>  >ppi0 at hbipbus0 slave 5 punit 0
>  >Then attach the Paintjet to the HP-IB bus and select 5 as the slave number.
>
>  Ok it shows that message, but how can I select it ?

Well, as long as ppi is configured to the kernel the messages will show,
with or without the printer/plotter. See man ppi for details. The
ppi-devices can't be probed so you have to explicitly define them.

Now all that's left for you is to find some dip-switches or something
similar and check that they are set to bus-address 5 on the Paintjet.
If you are lucky it's already set to 5, since that seems to be some
kind of a default for printers/plotters.

And after quickly checking MAKEDEV it seems that it knows nothing about
/dev/ppi, so you probably have to make it with mknod. Probably something
like
# mknod /dev/ppi c 11 0

I'd be interested in knowing whether it works or not...

--
Jarkko Teppo
jate@uwasa.fi