Subject: Re: HP 9000/425e question
To: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw34@cornell.edu>
List: port-hp300
Date: 06/01/2000 15:05:50
At 8:10 PM +0200 6/1/00, you wrote:

:)So, did someone have any success in getting NetBSD running on this machine?
:)It is "supported" according to the pages, but how can i use it without any
:)way of using the console?

I don't have a 425e, but there are reports of them working.  You need the
bootloader and kernel from
<ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/hp300/boot.hp425e/>

Once the bootloader loads, my understanding was that it will start printing
messages to the first serial port and accepting input from there.

***********
Does anyone know why this never made it into 1.4.2?
***********

BTW, you can just dump SYS_INST (gunzipped, of course) onto a hard drive
(SCSI ID 6) and attach it to the 425e and it should boot that, letting you
install the rest of the OS.

Alternatively, you can netboot your 425e using these bootloaders, see
<http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot>

If for some reason you can't get the kernel to use the serial port, you can
edit the /etc directory to automatically boot to the point where you can
telnet in.

Good luck.  Let me know if I've got anything wrong in this post, as I'll be
adding an entry to the FAQ and install notes.

  -- MW