Subject: Re: probs with newly acquired 380
To: NetBSD hp300 list <hp300@mrynet.com>
From: Ian Clark <ic@smoke.com.au>
List: port-hp300
Date: 04/02/2000 21:05:17
On Sat, 1 Apr 2000, NetBSD hp300 list wrote:

> I have three problems however when trying to use it and further
> installing NetBSD:
>
> 1)	There is a 98550A video control board in it.  I don't seem
> 	to have an RGB monitor that is compatible though.  The RGB
> 	monitor I have at my disposal is DEC VR299 (colour).  I
> 	also have a VR219 mono monitor, which is what I'm using.
> 	By plugging the green-out from the 98550 into this mono
> 	monitor, I can get enough of an image to make out boot
> 	messages.  The bootup messages occurring are described
> 	below.  Otherwise, this is a completely useless monitor.
> 	I yank this board to get the NetBSD SYS_INST rbootd
> 	setup to work on the serial port.

> 2)	The keyboard doesn't work.
> 	When the machine powers up, the keyboard lights do indeed
> 	flash.  I presume this is normal.  However, absolutely no
> 	keypresses are recognised by either the boot ROM or with
> 	SYS_INST when the console isn't directed to the serial port.

I can't help here. My HIL kbd doesn't have lights. The keyboard cable is
plugged into the plug with only one dot next to it is it? (I'm not sure if
this really matters but thats the way it is supposed to be)

>   Note that when using the serial port as the console for SYS_INST,
>   I still don't have access to the ROM startup via the serial port.
>   I would presume the ROM is still directing startup to a presumed
>   video board and motherboard keyboard port.  Until I can resolve
>   the keyboard issue, I presume I'm stuck with this situation.

The HP book says that the boot ROM  searchs for a system console in
this order.
1 an RS232 port withe remote bit set.
	(If more than 1 it uses the one with lowest select code)
2 An internal bit mapped display
3 An external bit mapped display with select code 132-255
4 a HP98546A compatability serial interface
5 A RS232 port without the remote bit set.

So if you yank the video, you should get the console on your one and only
serial port.
I use the serial port as my console as I have the same problems with video
cards, but no monitor.

Some time later......
To verify this I changed the Remote bit on the serial port to L for local
and rebooted & DOH! - no serial console, just goes to show you can't
believe everything you read.

Yet later still ....
After I set one of the 4ports serial ports to a remote I was able to set
the Processor boards serial port back to Remote mode.

Based on this, if you can borrow an external serial card , you can set it
to Remote via a dip switch, get serial access via the external serial, and
then reconfigure the processor in the boot phase.

If not its back to the keyboard..

> Some information on the bootup screen when the 98550 is plugged in
> (omission, misspelling or other transcription errors are mostly likely
> due to the fact that I have to blink rapidly when trying to read
> the screen :)
>
> 	Copyright 1990
> 	Hewlett Packard Company
> 	All Rights Reserved.
>
> 	BOOTROM Rev. 2.0 29 NOV 90
> 	Bit Mapped Video
> 	MC68040 Processor
> 	Configuration EEPROM
> 	HP HIL
> 	Type RETURN for internal RS-232
> 	HP-IB
> 	DMA-C0
> 	RAM 33554116 Bytes
> 	HP98644 (RS-232) at 9
> 	HP98265 (SCSI S 32) at 14
> 	HP98643 (LAN) at 21, THIN 08 00 09 11 2b d6
> 	HP PARALLEL at 23
> 	(and the bottom changes through "testing"... etc, to finally "SYSTEM SEARCH MODE")

Looks like my machine is pretty similar...

 Self-Test Mode
Copyright 1990,
Hewlett-Packard Company.
All Rights Reserved.

BOOTROM  Rev. 2.0  29 NOV 90
MC68040 Processor
Configuration EEPROM
HP-HIL
 RESET To Restart
 Self-Test Mode
HP-IB
DMA-C0
 Testing Memory

 Self-Test Mode
Copyright 1990,
Hewlett-Packard Company.
All Rights Reserved.

BOOTROM  Rev. 2.0  29 NOV 90
MC68040 Processor
Configuration EEPROM
HP-HIL
 RESET To Restart
 Self-Test Mode
HP-IB
DMA-C0
 Self-Test Mode
RAM 33554116 Bytes
HP98265 (SCSI S 32) at 5
HP98644 (RS-232) at 9
HP98642 (RS-232 MUX) at 11
HP98642 (RS-232 MUX) at 12
HP98625 (HS HP-IB) at 14
HP98265 (SCSI S 16) at 15
HP98643 (LAN) at 21, 08000910E8DA
HP PARALLEL at 23
HP98643 (LAN) at 31, THIN, 08000927E2C0
     Failed
 Waiting 1 Minute (RETURN to Abort Wait)
 RESET To Restart, SPACE clears input    Select System, type RETURN
?
 System Search Mode
                                        :QUANTUM LPS525S, 506, 0
                                           1Z SYS_UBOOT
                                        :HP 2213A, 1503, 0
                                           2Z SYS_PBOOT

                                         Select System, type RETURN

( I can never seem to do it fisrt time - the manual says <ctl>c <enter>
but I'm pretty sure I have to enter <shift>C .) gets you into the
configuration menu.

                                           Configuration Control
                                        keys Control Class
                                        ---------------------------