Subject: Re: Display hardware question
To: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
From: Steve Peurifoy <swp@alumni.rice.edu>
List: port-hp300
Date: 10/01/1999 22:02:41
> me and my office mate just inherited a couple of hp400 systems
> (one 433s, one a 433t, I think).  Both of them were equipped with
> graphics cards I've never seen before, and I've also not seen
> them mentioned on the hp300 port pages either.  The cards
> apparently are of a model with the nickname "Katmandu", and the
> two white stickers on the cards say A-3011-56 and 56-3044
                                      ^^^^^^^^^     ^^^^^^^
> respectively.

These are date code/revision stickers.

Kathmandu was the code name for the A1416A.  If that is in fact
what you have you should see a number of the form A1416-665??
or A1416-695?? etched on the board somewhere.  The backplate
should also have A1416A printed on it.

This board is functionally equivalent to the 98550A (Catseye)
with a few improvements.  So it's a 1280x1024 8 plane (plus
2 overlay planes) 60 Hz vertical refresh display.  It's a basic
framebuffer with additional offscreen memory and some block move
hardware to help things like text scrolling.  A very nice board
in its day and not too shabby even now IMO, although I occasionally
wish the refresh rate were higher.

The catseye driver works fine with it.  The xterm I'm typing this
into is being displayed with one right now.

-Steve