Subject: Re: HP 385 and 425e
To: None <port-hp300@netbsd.org>
From: Steve Peurifoy <swp@alumni.rice.edu>
List: port-hp300
Date: 07/31/1999 14:01:32
> 385 is apparently a 33MHz 68040 ... I don't actually have one, but I think
> Todd Miller does.
>
> Anyhow, I suspect it's 380-like, but it has a different MMU ID.  In fact,
> I suspect that a 380 is converted to a 385 by moving the "CPU speed" jumper
> on the mainboard from "25" to "33" (this is how you convert a 425 to a 433;
> the jumper changes memory wait states, I believe, and also changes the
> MMU ID).

All correct.  I'm not sure whether or not HP ever officially put the
385 on the market, but quite a few people both inside and outside of
HP turned their 380s into 385s by going to 33 MHz (of course you need
to install a faster 68040 if you're not a gambler).  In fact some
early 380s had ASIC defects that required running with the extra wait
state even at 25 MHz.  It was amusing to see such machines identified
by HP-UX as 385s.

> The 385 probably worked fine before, actually, but printed
> the wrong CPU speed.

Yup.  I've been running NetBSD on one for quite awhile.

-Steve