Subject: Re: Bootp problems with HP300
To: None <kannan@magazine.usask.ca>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw34@cornell.edu>
List: port-hp300
Date: 05/11/1999 16:42:08
At 3:00 PM -0600 5/11/99, you wrote:

:)Here is the exact output:
:)
:)>> NetBSD/hp300 Primary Boot, Revision 1.9
:)>> <scottr@polka, Fri Mar 13 18:11:29 CST 1998>
:)>> HP 9000/360 SPU
:)>> Enter "reset" to reset system.
:)Boot: [[[le0a:]netbsd][-a][-s][-d]] :-
:)
:)And it hangs right there.

Seems strange.  I've never been very pleased with the linux rarp
implementation.  I assume you don't have access to any other unix platform?
Try turning off rarp support on the linux machine and see if the hp prints
the error message.

Your hp's ethernet obviously works, since the rboot process reads and
writes to the network.

:)I read it.  So after SYS_UBOOT, it's supposed to do RARP.  Which it doesnt
:)seem to be doing.  Is it SYS_UBOOT which is telling the machine to look
:)for rarp or is that the boot-sequence of the machine itself?

Once SYS_UBOOT is loaded (via rboot), the HP's bootrom releases control to
that code, and SYS_UBOOT is running on your HP.  It knows it was loaded
over network (as opposed to a hard drive) and tries to find a rarp server,
then a bootparams server, then an nfs server (in that order).

If you have a minimal amount of HP-UX on a hard drive on your 360, there
are some kludges I can help you with to bootstrap up to NetBSD.  Or, if you
are lucky enough to have SCSI on your 360, there are several easy options
for getting started.

  -- MW