Subject: Re: Problems to run the HP-UX server.
To: Michael Wolfson <mw34@cornell.edu>
From: Lazaro Daniel Salem <SALEM@statoil.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 04/14/1999 14:06:02
Thanks Michael and David for your posting.
Xhpux is now working without a glitch!

The problem: I was missing libraries due to lack of space in the file
system I was trying to untarr to, and failed to restore them properly.
Simple to fix. Done.

Michael Wolfson said
>If anyone has suggestions on how to reword the page ...

You have done an excellent job Michael.  I can only come with suggestions
for minor touches:

--- Following excerpts are from your page ---

> Note that everything in this archive is self-contained
> in /emul/hpux except for the sockets in /usr/spool/sockets

Maybe mention here to
  http://WWW.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=6062
the still open the PR kern/6042 by Steve? IMO it is worth reading.

---
> 4.Add the following lines to your /etc/rc.local
>    mkdir /tmp/.X11-unix

Really needed? The dir /tmp/.X11-unix was there on my fresh install
of 1.3.3. Maybe is created by xinit or xdm? I have no such thing
in rc.local and everything works OK even after rebooting both with
xdm or xinit.

---
>    chmod 777 /tmp/.X11-unix
>    ln -s /usr/spool/sockets/X11/0 /tmp/.X11-unix/X0

The target file ( /usr/spool/sockets/X11/0 ) was not there yet and
the link to a non existing file failed. If my memory serves me
the first time I ran Xhpux I couldn't see anything to happen and
had to remotely kill X. In the process, however, the file
/tmp/.X11-unix/susanita0 was created (susanita is the host's name).
My fix was to:

 # mv /tmp/.X11-unix/susanita0 /usr/spool/sockets/X11/0
 # ln -s /usr/spool/sockets/X11/0 /tmp/.X11-unix/X0
 # startx

... and voila! everything is up and running now.

---
The link in your page to xbase.tgz at ftp.NetBSD points to the now
old 1.3.2 binaries. A link to the ftp site is already there so,
omitting the html link to xbase.tgz (keeping the text) would avoid
possible mistakes and the need of maintaining the page (1.4 is around
the corner!).

--
The last part was very nice with "research" results included.
You may want to make explicit the speed gain over XhpBSD.

As said before, these are really minor details. Your work was very good.
Many thanks!

Lazaro