Subject: AW: HP Apollo series 400
To: Per Krogh Nielsen <pkn@ostenfeld.dk>
From: Michael Lorenz <ml@wisent.de>
List: port-hp300
Date: 07/30/1998 09:29:46
greetings...

I've got an IBM 1G disk and a Sun- (SPARCstation-) compatible 400M disk =
in
my 425t at home.  They both work fine without any modification.  I've
heard that certain Quantum disks, or at least certain revisions of ROMs =
on
Quantum disks, have some timeout troubles that are addressed by an open
NetBSD problem report.
for me at least ( I have a 345 ) both, a Quantum Lightning and an IBM =
DCAS ( 2.1GB, ultra SCSI )=20
have this timeout problem, the BootROM as well as the unpatched kernel =
are unable to find these disks. There is a workaround for the kernel =
that corrects this. ( don't know the bug database ID but should be =
pretty easy to find, there is even a link on the hp300 page on =
www.netbsd.org )=20
For me it helps to boot the kernel from a ZIP drive ( with fixed sdX -> =
SCSI ID X and root to sd0 and ZIP on sd5 ), the modified kernel finds =
the disks and works.

bye
Michael