Subject: Re: SCSI/disklabel questions
To: Jeffrey D. McMahill <jma7+@andrew.cmu.edu>
From: Michael Wolfson <mbw@xarph.ee.cornell.edu>
List: port-hp300
Date: 06/29/1998 16:36:23
On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Jeffrey D. McMahill wrote:

> I ran into this too, on my 400t (with 1.3).  I believe the problem was because
> it thought there was a dca1 at scode 7, which is where nhpib0 is supposed
> to be.

Hey, allright!  Thanks, that was indeed the case.

Before commenting out dca*:
dca1 at dio0 scode 7 ipl 3: no fifo
dca0 at dio0 scode 9 ipl 5: console, working fifo

After commenting out dca*:
nhpib0 at dio0 scode 7 ipl 3: internal HP-IB
hpibbus0 at nhpib0
rd0 at hpibbus0 slave 2 punit 0hpibbus0: swait timeout
hpibbus0: swait timeout
hpibbus0: swait timeout
: 7959B

Just like Scott said, some timeouts, but nothing critical.  Actually, I
seem to recall the timeouts starting with NetBSD 1.2 on my 370 (no scsi).
And I also seem to remember having problems (starting with 1.2) getting my
370 to recognize 7959B drives if 7937H drives were attached.  But it's not
an issue anymore, since I have meanwhile upgraded to a 425s with three
2213A drives (quite a bit smaller and quieter than four 7937H drives).

Now all we need to do is track down why, on 400 series, it thinks scode 7
ipl 3 is a dca and precludes its use as nhpib.

Thanks for the help!

  -- MW