Subject: Re: SCSI/disklabel questions
To: Michael Wolfson <mw34@cornell.edu>
From: Ian Clark <ic@deakin.edu.au>
List: port-hp300
Date: 06/23/1998 21:34:22
On Mon, 22 Jun 1998, Michael Wolfson wrote:

> Hi folks, I've got a few burning questions.
>
> I recently got my hands on a reasonably fast SCSI-2 drive.  On other
> platforms, I can get a sustained transfer rate of well over 3.5 MB/s on
> slow/narrow SCSI.  On my 400s, the best I've ever seen is 700 KB/s (actual
> elapsed time, not processor time).

Hmm on my 380 I get :
68040 on-board scsi  with Quantum LPS525S

happy:/usr/home/ic# time dd if=/dev/rsd0a of=/dev/null bs=8k count=1k
1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
8388608 bytes transferred in 5 secs (1677721 bytes/sec)
        5.52 real         0.02 user         1.09 sys

Of course the 400 scsi controller may be a completely different animal.

> Where does the slowdown come from:  the SCSI hardware chipset in the 400,
> or the BSD drivers (i.e. will performance get better once people devote
> time to writing improved SCSI code)?

.. stuff about disklabels deleted that I can't comment on.

> TIA,
>   -- MW

V TWINS: the only practical alternitive to the single :- Phil Irving

21 Year old Moto Morini, 16 year old Moto Guzzi, 23 year old car -
So what's the fuss about a couple of 10 year old workstations?

Ian Clark VK3KRI        ic@deakin.edu.au      http://www.deakin.edu.au/~ic/