Subject: Problems getting netbooting working.
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mike Begley <squonk@drizzle.net>
List: port-hp300
Date: 05/27/1998 00:25:16
I tried setting up netbooting a 340 from another 340.  I'm getting fairly
far, but I can't get the last bit to work.

First off, I'm running NetBSD 1.1; I haven't had the time to upgrade yet.
Both machines have Rev C of the boot rom.

The client is able to find the server, and the two negotiate to the point
where the NetBSD kernel is loaded on the client and starting up, and then,
boom, I get a repetition of:

RPC timeout for server 0xcebfb245

and it goes no further (rather, it loops forever on that message).

But there were two other symptoms that are probably related:

1:  I can't seem to NFS mount anything but whatever is the first line in
/etc/mount.  Everything else gets a "permission denied" error, when I
attempt to mount it.  This, of course, makes it difficult to mount the swap
file.  Currently, I have the machine attepting to boot just the root
filesystem.  Why is my NFS broken like this?

2: during boot, I get this error:
bpf: can't add mcast addr (invalid arguement), setting promiscious mode

bpf is being called (I presume) from rarpd, which is being started in
netstart with no parameters.

I'm really close here, but I can't get any further.  Have people seen these
things before?  Is it all endemic to running version 1.1?

advice?

thanks...
-m