Subject: Re: 340 can't locate second SCSI HD on boot.
To: port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG, Mike Begley <squonk@drizzle.net>
From: Ian Clark <ic@deakin.edu.au>
List: port-hp300
Date: 05/25/1998 17:44:51
On Sat, 23 May 1998, Mike Begley wrote:

> I'm trying to get a second SCSI disk attached to my 340.
> the disk is a seagate ST32430N.
> When I boot the machine with this drive attached, I get the message:
>
> st: wrong specs: type 0 qual 0 version 1
>
> there's no mention of sd1, or any other disk but my boot disk.
>
> in the list of boot messages, just before it recognizes the first disk (also
> SCSI) in my machine.
> I do not believe I have a SCSI ID conflict (since I've tried a few), and I
> know all the cabling is correct because I'm able to mount other disks I put
> in in this disk's place, and I do believe the disk is in working order.
>
> any ideas?  What does that boot message mean (what is the st: device?)

Well I'm sure many others will tell you that st is a SCSI tape device.
But I have the same thing come up with one of the Quantum  LPS525's
currently attached to my '380. As far as I can tell the disk is dead.
It was on my Sun 3/140 but one day it just wouldn't boot. I put on the
380 to see if I could access it at a low level to try to figure out
why its dead, but I havn't done so yet.

scsi0 at scode5 ipl 4: 32 bit dma, async, scsi id 7
sd0 at scsi0 slave 6: <QUANTUM, LPS525S, 3110> (SCSI-2)
sd0: 2448 cylinders, 6 heads, 1023484 blocks, 512 bytes/block
hpib0 at scode7 ipl 3: Internal HP-IB
ppi0 at hpib0 slave 5
dca0 at scode9 ipl 5 flags 0x1: console, working fifo
dcm0 at scode11 ipl 3 flags 0xe
dcm1 at scode12 ipl 3 flags 0xe
hpib1 at scode14 ipl 4: 98625A or 98625B fast HP-IB
scsi1 at scode15 ipl 4:async, scsi id 7
st: wrong specs: type 0 qual 0 version 2
sd1 at scsi1 slave 3: <HP, 2213A, C023>
sd1: 1457 cylinders, 16 heads, 1296512 blocks, 512 bytes/block

V TWINS: the only practical alternitive to the single :- Phil Irving

21 Year old Moto Morini, 16 year old Moto Guzzi, 23 year old car -
So what's the fuss about a couple of 10 year old workstations?

Ian Clark VK3KRI        ic@deakin.edu.au      http://www.deakin.edu.au/~ic/