Subject: Re: 340 can't locate second SCSI HD on boot.
To: Mike Begley <squonk@drizzle.net>
From: Jim Reid <jim@mpn.cp.philips.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 05/25/1998 11:41:03

    Mike> I'm trying to get a second SCSI disk attached to my 340.
    Mike> the disk is a seagate ST32430N.  When I boot the machine
    Mike> with this drive attached, I get the message:

    Mike> st: wrong specs: type 0 qual 0 version 1

    Mike> there's no mention of sd1, or any other disk but my boot
    Mike> disk.

    Mike> in the list of boot messages, just before it recognizes the
    Mike> first disk (also SCSI) in my machine.  I do not believe I
    Mike> have a SCSI ID conflict (since I've tried a few), and I know
    Mike> all the cabling is correct because I'm able to mount other
    Mike> disks I put in in this disk's place, and I do believe the
    Mike> disk is in working order.

FWIW, I have a similar problem with my 425. It doesn't see the second
SCSI disk at boot time, though the autoconf stuff doesn't say anything
about wrong specs for a SCSI tape drive. By trial and error, I found
that making the boot PROM probe for boot devices made the second disk
visible. So, when I reboot, I hold down the space key, wait for the
PROM probe to complete and select the usual NetBSD boot disk. When it
boots, it sees the second disk.

I suspect there's something not quite right in the kernel's boot code
which means that the SCSI bus doesn't get properly reset - but the
PROM code does reset it OK - or something like that.

BTW Another thing you didn't say you'd checked was the bus termination
jumper on the second disk.