Subject: Can't boot 425e
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <Peter.Hettkamp@kassel.netsurf.de>
List: port-hp300
Date: 05/09/1998 12:38:16
Hello all hp300-gurus,

I recently obtained two hp-apollo workstations. Both were diskless and
OS-less, so I tried to install netbsd-hp300 on it. However, I did not get
very far with that:

One of the apollos claims to be a 425e, with a 68040 25MHz CPU and some
on-board graphics. I obtained the linux version of rbootd, and SYS_INST from
netbsd.org (from the 1.3.1 version of port-hp300), plugged a spare Seagate
ST31200N into the box, attached a HP-IL keyboard, and fired the thing up.
The apollo starts up alright, senses the presence of the rbootd server and
offers to boot the SYS_INST. Then, the screen goes blank. And that's it.
Nothing more happens, no prompt, no beep, nothing I could see on any of the
three serial ports this machine has (but I've been only looking for 9600bd,
8N1). Has anyone any idea what might be going wrong here?

The other machine has a label on it saying it is a 400t, and another label
beside it saying "Upgrades to 425". Inside, there is a fairly large,
L-shaped daughter card sitting on the CPU socket, containing a SC14075RC50
from Motorola and next to it a 68882 coprocessor. I have never before seen
nor found any reference to SC14075. What might that be? (Besides, I have one
spare of these daughter boards.)
Then, there is a large board plugged into the rear of the machine, which
might just be a graphics board, except it is mainly populated by regular
74xxx, some PALS, resistor packs etc. and has only two rams of type 44C250.
This board is labelled A1630-20003 REV02 on the component side, and bears a
sticker saying A1630-66003. It has a 9-pin male sub-d connector. What is
this?

I"d be grateful for any hint, information or advice you might give me.
Thanks in advance.

Sincerely, Peter Hettkamp