Subject: Re: NetBSD/hp300 webpages
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Steve Peurifoy <sp128@ibm.net>
List: port-hp300
Date: 01/20/1998 01:23:18
> > 	In particular it would be helpful if anyone using a 400 series
> > 	machine with a Domain keyboard, or any hp300 with a SCSI-2 drive,
> > 	could confirm that all works fine.
>
> I can only say something to SCSI-2 drives:
>
> The Quantum Lightning 730 works fine at my HP9000/400 - except that
> I can't directly reboot. I always have to halt, then use the reset
> button. If I try to reboot via shutdown/reboot command, the drive is
> not found.
>
> There was a pr with a workarround, that solved that problem, but was
> declared as `clutch', not real fix, thus it never made it into the tree.

I admire good clean fixes as much as the next person and certainly the
hp300 SCSI driver could use replacing for a number of reasons.  I would
note however, that there exist drives (Seagate 2 gig Hawks for example)
with which the unpatched code in the tree should be run only by people
with good backups who really enjoy restoring filesystems.  Usually the
drive responds to selection within 2 ms.  Sometimes it don't...

With a modification similar to that in the PR, my Hawks run flawlessly.
I've decided to hold my nose and live with it.

-Steve