Subject: Dead disk? Or dead head?
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Nathan Gelbard <gelbard@engr.orst.edu>
List: port-hp300
Date: 12/17/1997 02:25:24
Greetings,
	I just moved my hp380 system w/ 3 300mb HPIB drives 1.5 hours from
a computer party to my home. I turned on the disk box, and one of the drives,
makes a screeching sound of bones going through an automatic cheese
shredder. :( Very bad.

	The drives are of type 97536-60051 found in a HP type 7963B HPIB
disk box. After a little searching, I found that the nut that holds
the moter spindle to the 'insides' was loose, and I tightened it.

	The motor refuses to spin. The drive lights give a 'flashing'
green, never stopping, and never faulting. I've changed controller
boards (the 'lectronics strapped under the disk box, not the HPIB
controller), but to no avail. The green light comes on, but nothing else.
I've got all the cables (3) hooked up right like they were, pins
matching and all.

	Any ideas? Its my NetBSD boot drive :( At first, I thought
it was my X11 drive, which is easily replaceable, but I had my light
order backwards.

Also,
	Any stats on the SCSI driver for NetBSD? We've had bad problems
with the SCSI driver on Quantum drives, and I've seen other reports
on this list in the past. I could make this system live again if I could
use the external SCSI port on my hp380 box and toss the HPIB drives
down a well...

	Thanx a million^2 in advance,

		NateG

[ Nathan Gelbard              ] [ gelbard@engr.orst.edu           ]
[ Oregon State University     ] [ http://straylight.hurrah.com    ]
[ Student of Computer Science ] [ Area Support Computer Assistant ]
		            F0 0F C7 C8
     "Cheap disk space, faster processors and more core are NOT
         justification for shoddy programming." --greywolf