Subject: X11R6.x
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Lorenz <ml@rz.uni-potsdam.de>
List: port-hp300
Date: 12/04/1997 18:13:52
Hi there...

In need of a working X11R6 I finally managed to compile at least the
X11R6.3 libraries and clients on my 345. OK, should work all right with the
R5 server. Meanwhile ( it took AGES to compile and still works on some
clients, but the libraries are done ) I had a look at the server sources
and found below something called XFree68 a server which was intended for
Linux 68k but the interface to the hardware seens to be a single device
entry called /dev/fb which seems to me pretty generic and able to support
native Amiga, Atari and several graphics boards across all Linux68k
versions... I ask myself if here is anyone with the right knowledge about
hp300 graphics boards who could write such a frame buffer device... the
documentation should be pretty well available ?!
I think that would be easier than rewriting the whole hardware-dependant
stuff for a real native server.

bye
Michael