Subject: Re: Hard drive for 9000/345
To: Paul Simmonson <psimmo@omen.com.au>
From: Zadok <ml@rz.uni-potsdam.de>
List: port-hp300
Date: 11/18/1997 09:54:55
On Sun, 16 Nov 1997, Paul Simmonson wrote:

> I have two HP 9000/345 Workstations with Rodime SCSI Hard Drives RO3259T Type E9 210Mb.
Oh dear, who has a 345 and didn't throw away some Rodime RO3xxx ? I had a
RO3000, loud and slow and unuseable because of random lockups...

> When I bought these one of the hard drives was not working at all and the other was a bit flaky.
> I was able to install and run NetBSD on the machine with the flaky hard drive, but now this one
> is dead too. My question is, can I install any SCSI hard drive off the shelf or do they need drives
> from HP?
As long as you don't take a Quantum drive you may well be lucky with this,
in my machine I have a 270MB Fujitsu and a 1GB Seagate, a ZIP drive and a
NEC CDROM. the darddisks were generally unproblematic.
Quantum disks generally have problems to be recoginzed by the kernel, I
tried a 500MB Lightning and was unable to get it at all running, plugged
on a PC it worked well, Jason said something about unusual initialization
code needed for these drives...
just take a seagate and be happy :-)

--
bye