Subject: NFS mounted swap space
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
List: port-hp300
Date: 11/14/1997 12:13:42
I have just loaded on the new 1.3_ALPHA snapshot on my hp and everything
boots up fine diskless except I can't get the system to use the remote
swap file.  My /etc/bootparams file looks like this:

rapture root=druid.net:/usr/local/nfsclient/rapture \
        swap=druid.net:/usr/local/nfsswap/rapture

/usr/local/nfsclient/rapture is the root directory and that works fine.
/usr/local/nfsswap/rapture is a 16 Meg scratch file.  I want the system
to use this for swap.  I tried the following in /etc/fstab

druid.net:/usr/local/nfsswap/rapture none swap sw

But that was just stabbing in the dark.  It didn't work.  It just gave
a "No such file or directory" error.

The odd thing is that I had to set the exports file up properly or else
it would not boot.  This suggests to me that the file is being accessed
but swapctl doesn't show any swap.