Subject: Re: a friend is about to leave...
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Michael Joosten <joost@c-lab.de>
List: port-hp300
Date: 07/16/1997 20:45:17
> I'm still looking for someone who can suck srecords out of a 380 bootrom
> for me so I can upgrade my last 345. I'd also like to put the image up
> for ftp also.  I should probably just spend the $30 and buy another
> rom... (my other 380 is in another country right now).

Isn't it possible to map the physical range of the EPROM into /dev/mem or
/dev/kmem ?

Alternatively, I could try to get the contents from the 400t EPROM I have here
via Domain mode over serial line (kermit! kermit!).

>Alternatively, Jason has a 425t with busted ethernet so if you're looking for
>a home for that 400 motherboard, jason would probably welcome being able to
>fix that 425 of his.

I'd assume that only the interface chip from the Lance 7990 to the
Thick/ThinEthernet port is fried. But that's not much of a problem, I've even a
broken Sun SLC board here, where I could try to de-solder the Lance or the
interface chip (AM7992), this DC/DC converter (wierd IC with HIPOTTED printed
on it). Might be worth a try, but you would need to have at least a hot-air
blower used for this wierd hot-glue (hope you understand what I mean). I was
able to repair an Sun IPC with this SLC board's chips, but now again it has
problems with its cache chips, argh.

Michael