Subject: Re: a friend is about to leave...
To: None <ml@persius.rz.uni-potsdam.de, hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Michael Lorenz <ml@persius.rz.uni-potsdam.de>
List: port-hp300
Date: 07/16/1997 15:58:23
>  > OK, something went wrong, so I tried the original processor board with the old bootrom without the new oscillator - still dead. what the hell could be happened to my machine ? not even the old configuration works anymore !
>
> hmm... sounds like it's dead, Jim...
>
> Unless you've bent a pin or more on the daughterboard, or unless you did it
> on the carpet while someone was vacuuming, or any of the countless things
> that could just be "wrong"; it should have been a no-brainer...  Or maybe
> the daughterboard is misaligned or rotated...
Hmm, maybe the old BootROM got damaged ( some pins bent ) but the new one should at least complein about the wrong processor...

> Although, I'll admit that for the life of me, I can't get lager to work
> at 33mhz even with a 33mhz 040 and 66mhz oscillator... It just comes up
> with all LED's on... It works fine with the 50mhz...  I've taken all the
> ram out except for the 2 really fast banks. no change.
I think I have 80ns RAMs ( 8 modules a 2MB ), so I'll try a 50MHz oscillator...

> But in your case, it should work fine if you set it back to normal...
yup... I'll check everthing once again ( you can't be foolproof, even if the fool is you... :-( ) maybe there is something on the mainboard or there was something on the table, can't think more stupid as I am :-)

bye
Michael

P.S.: I have found an old apollo 400 mainboard, so all I would need is an Apollo 400 case with power supply... hmm, what do you think a 380 BootROM does in a Apollo ? find the HP bits and ignore the Apollo ones ?