Subject: Re: 425e boot trouble
To: der Mouse <mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 07/13/1997 08:54:06
On Sun, 13 Jul 1997 09:21:04 -0400 (EDT)
 der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA> wrote:

 > The latest hp300 snapshot does not appear to include installation
 > tools, so I grabbed the 1.2.1 install setup, intending to upgrade to
 > the snapshot as soon as I had 1.2.1 running.

While the latest snapshot doesn't include installation tools, there is
enough there to set up a diskless system.  I am going to make a binary
snapshot soon, and will include installation tools, this time.  (It
has simply been a matter of not having time to track down a bug in the
install tools, that causes labeling of disks to fail.)

 > Now, I've gotten it to find SYS_INST on the net, and it seems to load
 > (rbootd -d says something about Boot Complete).  Of course the screen
 > goes blank, since SYS_INST doesn't know anything about the video.  But
 > I have a terminal on serial port 1 and I don't see anything there
 > either.  Based on the comments in sys/arch/hp300/stand/ite.c (around
 > the whichconsole variable), I tried typing SHIFT-RESET repeatedly but
 > never did get anything on the serial port.
 >
 > Does 1.2.1 simply not support serial consoles on this hardware, or am I
 > doing something boneheaded, or what?  I do have another hp300 machine
 > available, but it's slooooowww (68020/16.6667, rather than the 425's
 > 68040/25), so I'd rather not use it if I don't have to.  (Yes, I did
 > check pins 2 and 3; I have them connected sanely - each end is driving
 > the one the other isn't driving.)

Right... The 425e doesn't have a dca serial port; it only has apci.  Please
grab the latest binary snapshot, load SYS_UBOOT over the net, and it should
deal with the serial console (first port).

 > Alternatively, is there some way to build an HP-bootable disk on other
 > machines?  I can drop the disk on a NetBSD/sun3 machine and set it up
 > there if that would help any.

You could probably run a -current hp300 disklabel(8) binary on the sun3,
and have it DTRT... but you might have an easier time of it if you just
go diskless, then install from there.