Subject: 425e boot trouble
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-hp300
Date: 07/13/1997 09:21:04
I've got an HP/Apollo machine, the one I mentioned several months ago
that has SGC video.  I'm trying to set it up to run with a serial
console.

The latest hp300 snapshot does not appear to include installation
tools, so I grabbed the 1.2.1 install setup, intending to upgrade to
the snapshot as soon as I had 1.2.1 running.

Now, I've gotten it to find SYS_INST on the net, and it seems to load
(rbootd -d says something about Boot Complete).  Of course the screen
goes blank, since SYS_INST doesn't know anything about the video.  But
I have a terminal on serial port 1 and I don't see anything there
either.  Based on the comments in sys/arch/hp300/stand/ite.c (around
the whichconsole variable), I tried typing SHIFT-RESET repeatedly but
never did get anything on the serial port.

Does 1.2.1 simply not support serial consoles on this hardware, or am I
doing something boneheaded, or what?  I do have another hp300 machine
available, but it's slooooowww (68020/16.6667, rather than the 425's
68040/25), so I'd rather not use it if I don't have to.  (Yes, I did
check pins 2 and 3; I have them connected sanely - each end is driving
the one the other isn't driving.)

Alternatively, is there some way to build an HP-bootable disk on other
machines?  I can drop the disk on a NetBSD/sun3 machine and set it up
there if that would help any.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca