Subject: Re: Low level formatting: How?
To: None <Lazaro.Salem@rf.no>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 05/28/1997 11:46:43
On Wed, 28 May 97 18:39:15 cet
 Lazaro.Salem@rf.no wrote:

 > Is this such a dummy question?
 > any help will be appreciated.

...sorry, I've been trying to catch up after having had the flu...

 > I would like to know about software and instructions for
 > low level formatting a HD, in order to install NetBSD/port-hp300
 > on it.

...it is not necessary to low-level format the disk to install NetBSD/hp300,
but it would not hurt, esp. with Rodime disks...

 > I got two RODIME 3000T HD (*) from HP apollos 425t, but they seem
 > to be deffective. Before trashing them I would like to give them
 > a chance by fresh formatting them.
 >
 > I do have a AHA1542CF (Adaptec SCSI 2, ISA bus) on my PC, and that
 > comes with a low level formatting program. Is it safe/proper to use
 > that although I will install the HD on the 425t?

...if you want to low-level format the drives, the Adaptec formatting
utility will work fine for disks to be used on the hp300.