Subject: Re: Hi there (and first question)
To: Torsten Schlueter <torsten@geo1.uni-duisburg.de>
From: None <Lazaro.Salem@rf.no>
List: port-hp300
Date: 05/20/1997 10:02:52
Hi,
I have a related question to that of Torsten,

> 2) I got an Apollo 400 (425T) Workstation by HP. There has been no HDD
> in it, and no OS:-( I found a NET-BSD Port for this machine.
> Now my question: (I put > a Quantum LPS 540S SCSI-HD into the machine)
> how can i install NET BSD on this machone with no operating system
> on it?
>
> SCSI peripherals which i have are
> - Toshiba 3501b CD-ROM (SCSI)
> - Archive Viper QIC Streamer for 6150/6250 Tapes
> - Sony SDT 5200 DDS 2 Dat Streamer

I just got some diskless 425t boxes last week, and (what a coincidence!)
I do have a LPS540S (Quantum, 516MB, SCSI-2 HD) as well as a Toshiba
SCSI-2 CD-ROM (not 3501b) drive.

I was also considering using the quantum HD disk (presently FAT16-DOS and
ext2-Linux formatted) to make use of those apollo machines.

>From the tecnical specs provided by HP the controller on the HP425t
is a plain SCSI (also known as SCSI 1 or ANSI X3.131-1986).
(Is it an A3000?)

The Quantum LP540S HD is on the other hand a SCSI 2 device.

So I rephrase Torsten's question:
Will the controller be able to talk to the SCSI 2 devices if any?

Thanks,

Lazaro

P.S. It seems the 425t are very cheap in these days (I got 6 boxes
last week, and today I read another postings to hp-300 of somebody
with the same one :-)
--
Lazaro D. Salem                   E-mail: salem@rf.no
RF-Rogaland Research               Phone: +47 51 87 50 00