Subject: RE: apollo 425t support
To: Mike Ekholm <ekholm@skypoint.com>
From: michael smith <mike@spam.frisbee.net.au>
List: port-hp300
Date: 05/09/1997 11:13:22
Mike Ekholm stands accused of saying:
>I am thinking of changing my apollo 425t from doamin OS over to NetBSD,
>and I have several questions.

The answer is : DO IT! 8)

>1. Is full instalation from tape supported. This is a single node, and I
>would nead to copy every file in the distribution to tape, and install
>from tape. (including booting the node) and is this supported?

I can't answer this, sorry. I've always booted diskless from another
NetBSD machine.

>2. Is SLIP or PPP connections via a modem connected to one ot the SIO
>ports supported? This is one of the major reasons for changing over.

Yes.  I recently abandoned my efforts to get a useful PPP connection
running on a Sparc and stuck the link on the 425.  It handles it
comfortably.

>3. Is Xwindows supported, and would I just need to install it, or would I
>need to compile it also.

X is available; the address of an FTP site with assorted useful
precompiled stuff was posted here a little while back, which should
save you some time 8)

--
Mike Smith  *BSD hack  Unix hardware collector
The question "why are the fundamental laws of nature mathematical"