Subject: Trying to get diskless Install started
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <ROD_STOKES@Non-HP-UnitedKingdom-om7.om.hp.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 05/02/1997 09:49:51
Hi...

This is my first posting to this mailing list so please humor me :-)

I recently inherited a 425 with 16MB RAM but no disk.  I have read the
INSTALL document and tried to get it to boot onto my 9000/715 which is
running HP-UX 10.20.  The 425 passes its self tests but just sits there
searching.  I have checked that it is in HP-UX mode and it seems to send
several packets onto the LAN (the lights flicker).  The 715 does not put
anything into the log file for rbootd other than the daemon
initialisation messages.

The documentation for 10.20 says that rbootd now uses the /etc/bootptab
file but I would have thought that it would still log an error if it was
seeing the 425s requests.  Has anyone managed to get rbootd on 10.20 to
service requests from a 300/400?  I have probably just missed something
in the rbootd config on the 715.

The BSD rbootd daemon won't compile 'out of the box' on my 715 so I
haven't been able to replace the HP one yet.

I also tried to boot off DAT tape.  The 425 sees the tape drive and the
first part of the tape gets read but then it seems to get ignored after
that.  I tried the dd command mentioned in the INSTALL document but could
not find support for conv=osync under HP-UX 10.20.  Using combinations of
dd with various block sizes seems to make no difference to the 425.

BTW I am trying with NetBSD v1.2 as I am unsure what files I should be
using under 1.2.1

I do have the option of using a Linux box for boot if that would solve
any problems.  This is a last resort as the PC normally runs Windoze
(NT4ws/W95).

Any suggestions on how to get started would be greatly appreciated.

Rod Stokes
Associate Consultant with Hewlett Packard

+44-1344-365-189 (Work & Voicemail)

rod_stokes@NON-HP-UnitedKingdom-om7.om.hp.com or
rod@robcri.demon.co.uk