Subject: Re: Cross-compiling kernels...
To: Peter Maydell <pm215@cam.ac.uk>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 05/01/1997 10:14:47
On Thu, 01 May 1997 14:15:33 +0100
 Peter Maydell <pm215@cam.ac.uk> wrote:

 > You might be interested to know that I have just successfully
 > cross-compiled a NetBSD kernel on my Linux system. (OK, you have
 > to 'make assym.h' on the NetBSD system. I'm sure there should be some
 > way of redoing assym.h not to require a binary genassym in the process.)

...I would imagine that you're not using NetBSD-current, then.
NetBSD-current has several changes to support cross-compiling.

...very cool, though :-)

 > It involved a lot of hassle and a few tweaks to the Makefile (generally
 > replacing 'size' with '${SIZE}' and so forth to use the cross-tools.)
 > Oh, and bugfixing Linux' lorder(1). And installing and configuring
 > that strange version of make NetBSD uses...

...strange version of make(1)?  Nah, bmake is the One True Make(1) :-)

The src/usr.bin/make directory in NetBSD-current should compile
out-of-the-box on just about any system these days.  Many kudos to
Christos Zoulas for increasing its portability.

 > I shall probably eventually stick some details on my WWW site
 > (http://mnementh.trin.cam.ac.uk/), but I thought I'd see if there was
 > any demand for them before I went to the effort of writing things up...

....yah, that'd be cool.  I'm in the process of writing a cross-compile(1)
manual page, actually, since I shook a lot of these problems out when
setting up to cross compile NetBSD/powerpc from a NetBSD/hp300 host.