Subject: README: SPU detection code
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@OG.ORG>
List: port-hp300
Date: 04/27/1997 14:32:11
Hi folks...

I just committed a bunch of changes, some provided by Mike Smith,
to uniquely identify all SPU types, with the exception of the 318/319/330.
The reason for the exception is because, as far as I can tell, there
_are_ no differences between the 318/319/330, except:

	318 - 16MHz 68020 + 68851 MMU + mono framebuffer

	319 - a 318 s/mono/color/

	330 - a 319 in a "regular" DIO/DIO-II case

READ THIS PART -- IT IS IMPORTANT

Because we can now uniquely idenify all SPUs (err, except for the
exception above :-), the kernel now requires that your kernel config
file contains _at least_ the appropriate SPU option for your machine.
This is basically in the name of consistentcy.  The GENERIC kernel now
has the following:

# Support for various CPU types
options         HP320
options         HP330           # includes 318, 319
options         HP340
options         HP345
options         HP350
options         HP360
options         HP370
options         HP375
options         HP380
options         HP400
options         HP425
options         HP433

MAKE SURE YOU UPDATE YOUR CONFIG FILE AS APPROPRIATE!  (Wanted to make
sure everyone saw this bit :-)

Also, I should mention something about the SPU detection code... it uses
the "MMU ID" stashed in the MMU/ecache command register.  This has been
tested on several systems, but in case it should fail on yours, it
has been designed to fail in a way that "won't hurt"... I.e. if you
have a 345 or a 375, and it loses for some reason, the worst that will
happen is that your machine will be identified as a 400.  Similarly,
if you have a 425 or 433, the worst that can happen is that your
system will be identified as a 380.

If the code does lose on your system for some reason, _please_ write
down the reported "mmuid" and get in touch with me ASAP.  The mmuid
will be printed out like so:

NetBSD 1.2D (BASALT) #49: Sun Apr 27 10:46:19 PDT 1997
    thorpej@basalt:/work/netbsd/src/sys/arch/hp300/compile/BASALT
HP 9000/380 (25MHz MC68040 CPU+MMU+FPU, 4k on-chip physical I/D caches)
cpu: delay divisor 30, mmuid 2
                       ^^^^^^^
                       That's what you're looking for.

Above all, make _sure_ you have a backup kernel around.

If you have problems or questions, feel free to get in touch with me.

Ciao.

        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@og.org>