Subject: Re: Support for 425e with SGC video?
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: mike smith <miff@spam.frisbee.net.au>
List: port-hp300
Date: 04/25/1997 15:05:05
Jason Thorpe wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Apr 1997 12:48:33 +0930
>  mike smith <miff@spam.frisbee.net.au> wrote:
>
>  > I'm doing all my building and testing using a single 425t.  One
>  > thing that's worth the effort; go out and buy a 66MHz crystal
>  > oscillator and replace the 50MHz unit next to the CPU (check
>  > that yours is socketed first, perhaps).  The extra performance
>  > makes a handy difference for longer tasks.
>
> _BE CAREFUL_ if you do this... I had a 425 that Really Lost at 33MHz,
> and had to drop it back down to 25.  At the very least, but a fansink
> on that CPU...

Hmm, I should have mentioned that.  The 425 I have, as well as
the Apollo 5500's all have (small) heatsinks.  I put a Pentium
heatsink on mine and hung a 50mm fan to blow directly on it.

Naturally, you should run the system with the top off and
monitor the heatsink temperature for several hours as a part
of the process.  Apologies for skimping on the details 8(

I have several times wondered whether it would be feasible to
get a significantly faster '040 and wind the clock much faster.
It's not clear how much of the system is actually run off the
'040's clock; I would guess that eventually you'd run into
timing problems with memory (? is it clocked seperately), or
with the interface between the CPU and the chipset...

--
Mike Smith  *BSD hack  Unix hardware collector
The question "why are the fundamental laws of nature mathematical"