Subject: Re: Support for 425e with SGC video?
To: Jay Lovell <jay.lovell@bridge.bellsouth.com>
From: Jay Lovell <Jay.Lovell@bridge.bst.bls.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 04/24/1997 16:28:02
> SGC video is not currently supported.  There were at least two problems
> the last time this was discussed here:

>     (1) The autoconfiguration infrastructure could not sanely
>         support another bus.

>     (2) No one with the right combination of:
>
>           (a) hardware
>           (b) documentation
>           (c) time
>           (d) clue

>         existed to do the work.  :-)

> (2) ...well, you've asked "is there anything I can do"... :-)  The
> answer here is "Yes!" ... You obviously have (a).

I have two 425e's running HP-UX 9.03 and one extra that is dedicated for
NetBSD

> (b) may be available in the Utah Mach sources for the hp700.

Actually, I may have (b) {Documentation} as well.  I have an HP-UX LaserRom
with every manual ever made for the HP 300/400 series on it.  I also have
most of the manual available in paper copy.  I also have access to all the
header files for the compiler rebuilds necessary when you re-gen a new
compiler.  In /etc/conf there is both a graf and a graf.300 subdirectory
with header files for about 10 different HP products (gr_98550, 98720,
98730, hyper, 98736 as well as ite_dav, gator, gen, ren, tiger, and top
(these being *.h files)

> Now, do you have (c) and (d)?  I can't help with (c) (I have a hard
enough
> time with this myself :-),

Don't I know that <grin>, but I'd probably be able to put some time into it
if I knew what changes were being made and what to do with them.  As far as
figuring out what needed to change and where to change it, I'd probably by
clueless.

> but I _can_ help you with (d).

That's definitely what I'd need.

> ...Do you have another hp300 or other NetBSD/m68k system on which you can
> build kernels, and whatnot?  Or, some suitable cross-development
environment?
> (I can guide the setup of a cross-development environment, and would be
happy
> to commit changes to the NetBSD/hp300 code base to facilitate that...
I've
> just had no need to cross-compile NetBSD/hp300, but I do cross-compile
> NetBSD/powerpc :-)

I have gcc genned on the HP-UX boxes and can gen a cross-compiler for the
NetBSD platform probably fairly easily.  Let me know what to use as the
target string to make sure I gen something that is usable though.

>  > If there is anything else I can tell you about the machine or look up
(I
>  > have a crap-load of manuals on these things) or test or whatever,
please
>  > let me know and I'll be happy to assist!
>
> You do!  Oh!  That is _very_ helpful... One of the _most_ important
things
> is to determine the address of the framebuffer (I don't know if it's the
> same on the 400 as it is on the 700).

I have access to the headers as well as the manuals and if you can give me
an idea of where to look for the address, I may be able to find it for you.
With regards to other configurations (ie the 700, etc) do you know what
symbol HP uses to reference it in a define statement?