Subject: Re: Support for 425e with SGC video?
To: Jay Lovell <Jay.Lovell@bridge.bst.bls.com>
From: mike smith <miff@spam.frisbee.net.au>
List: port-hp300
Date: 04/24/1997 23:51:12
Jay Lovell wrote:

> > Ah, "standard built-in" being what?  Is the video on a card or
> > on the motherboard?  It's possible that you have an SGC video
> > card (not supported)...
>
> Did some investigating some more and it turns out I do indeed have the
> 425e's with the SGC video.  Last message I saw on them was from October of
> 1996 where support for them was being dropped/delayed until someone showed
> up who had time to work on them.  So at this point, the question becomes,
> "is anyone working on them (425e with SGC video)?" and "is there anything I
> can do to contribute to and help this effort (if any)?"

Well, you could write the support 8) 8) 8)  Seriously, I don't think
there's any active SGC work.  There should be some code in the
7xx-series Mach port (?) that deals with the SGC (at least I seem to
recall this) which might serve as a good starting point.

> > Grab a terminal and use that for now, if you're
> > interested in helping, I have Big Plans that should make it
> > possible for you to use an ISA/EISA VGA card at some stage.
>
> If there is anything I can do to help, I would be more than happy to
> contribute.  I question whether the ISA/EISA VGA work will help the 425e
> owners as there is no expansion slot in the machine.

_Oh_.  That's interesting; I didn't know there was a 4xx with
no (E)ISA.

> If there is anything else I can tell you about the machine or look up (I
> have a crap-load of manuals on these things) or test or whatever, please
> let me know and I'll be happy to assist!

What manuals do you have that talk about the hardware, or
programming the hardware?  I have a pile of HP/UX manuals, but
no hardware references 8(

--
Mike Smith  *BSD hack  Unix hardware collector
The question "why are the fundamental laws of nature mathematical"