Subject: Installing on a 425t with a Zip drive
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ahilan Anantha <ahilan@franklin.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
List: port-hp300
Date: 04/17/1997 01:51:26
Hello!

	I have a few questions about installing NetBSD on an HP 425t. The
system is currently running Apollo Domain/OS 10.4 and using a Domain style
keyboard, but I've managed to get an HP HIL converter and a HIL interface
keyboard and mouse. My problem now is that I do not have a system on the
same subnet from which I can netboot off of.
	All our other systems are either Apollos running Domain/OS or Suns
running Solaris 2.5. From my understanding, the current "rbootd" source
code will not work on either OS because they don't support Berkeley Packet
Filter.
	I do, however, have access to a Zip drive. I am planning on using
the Zip image (that Wes Brown graciously made available) to aid the
install. I'm planning on using my Linux box to "dd" the image onto a Zip
cartridge and get the 425t to boot off of it. Then from NetBSD, I'm hoping
I can disklabel the two SCSI disks, and install bootblocks on the boot
drive. And then ftp and extract the distribution, and hopefully be able
to boot from disk.

	My question is how exactly do I disklabel and install bootblocks
once I've booted off of the Zip drive?

	I know that there is a "disklabel" command. I've tried using it
on an MVME 147 board that was running the entire OS over NFS. I managed to
create partitions using disklabel, but I was never really sure I was doing
it right. I also could never get the "installboot" program to work for me.
But anyway that's probably something I sould ask port-mvme68k about.
	It seems that the method to install bootblocks differs across
NetBSD ports. The disklabel man page I was reading said that on some
systems disklabel with a "-B" option installs the bootblocks. But
apparently that isn't true for port-mvme68k. Is the "-B" what is used for
hp300?
	Also, what about /etc/disktab ? Do I need to create an entry for
my disk in there to be able to disklabel? Or does NetBSD automagically
figure out everything it needs to know to disklabel?

	Sorry to be bombarding you all with so many questions, I guess I'm
just very confused about a lot of things.

Thanks!

Ahilan
Ahilan Anantha
Open Computing Facility -- Staff Member
Undergraduate, Electrical Engineering Computer Science
University of California, Berkeley