Subject: Re: Apollo keyboard, serial drivers (announce)
To: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-hp300
Date: 04/16/1997 12:51:55
> As for choosing a standard protocol for the topside, I like the SunOS
> "firm event" protocol, which can encode several types of events, and
> offers the actual time the event occurred (often useful to have).

Something like the sunos firm_event protocol is "nice," and it ends up
being what i used in my new wscons code (still unreleased).

It's completely silly for random ports to use the 'straight'
firm_event interface, though, because:

	(1) it's tailored to Suns, and

	(2) it's got a few ... weird/useless aspects.

For somebody trying to get sun console emulation working, great, fine,
use it.  But if you're trying to design a better interface, you should
start there are trim/rearrange, until things are sane.

cgd