Subject: Re: Apollo keyboard, serial drivers (announce)
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: mike smith <miff@spam.frisbee.net.au>
List: port-hp300
Date: 04/16/1997 22:22:45
Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> /dev/wskbd0: ok.
> /dev/wsms0: is not universal.
>
> I don't want the mouse driver to listen to all serial ports at half a
> dozen bitrates and try to guess whether a serial mouse is connected,
> and at what bitrate, and with what protocol.

... so mandate that the mouse driver has to translate to a standard,
arbitrary protocol.  Pick something like the Mouse Systems protocol
(which is just nice because it's easy), and insist that everything
else remassage its bits to comply.

> Xnetbsd (it it is going to be universal) will need a -mouseDev
> /dev/xxx -mouseType someTypeCode parameter (it will be able to
> autodetect wsms events, but I dont see how this can be done reasonably
> for serial mice with 5.5 protocols at 6 different baud rates).

If you have a mouse driver shim, you needn't care about baudrates
or protocols.

> [It might be reasonable to provide a libmouse.so, which provides Event
> encoding for the different protocols... this will make e.g. mouse
> interfaces to userland text windowing systems easier.]

ie. stacking the protocol translation somewhere else.  IMHO that's
actually a better idea, as it lets you use any supported pointing
device on any platform that has a compatible interface.  Perhaps
look at the model that FreeBSD's moused(8) uses too, where you have
a user-space daemon that performs the translation and pukes the
results out on a standard mouse queue device.  (Don't go looking
to moused for code examples though, it's a fairly grubby individual.)

--
Mike Smith  *BSD hack  Unix hardware collector
The question "why are the fundamental laws of nature mathematical"