Subject: At last it's running, but now...
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Elmar Kolkman <kolkmae@la1.apd.dec.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 04/16/1997 08:02:25
Hello,

At last I have my hp300 running with NetBSD. I was one of the people with
a DCM card for the console.

But now it is running, I have another problem:

1) under NetBSD I can not use the SCSI tape device. The machine is capable of
   booting from it, but when it's running NetBSD it gives an I/O error. This
   makes installing a bit harder, especially because I don't have a connection
   with InterNet at home. And the machine from which I netboot doesn't have a
   SCSI controller or Tape-drive.

2) how do I setup the machine to use the network correctly ? I have made it
   capable of booting from disc (copied the root and usr from the NFS root-disk
   and disklabel -B), but it won't talk over the network. I read in the INSTALL
   document that the miniroot takes care of this, but I cann't use that, because
   the kernel on the miniroot doesn't work for me: it doesn't support a console
   through the DCM yet. (I got it to ping from the hp correctly, but couldn't
   ping from the Linux-machine.)

3) I have 8 of those DCM boards, but MAKEDEV seems to only support 4 of them.
   I will not be using al of the boards in the near future, but is there a
   real reason MAKEDEV doesn't support more can the script be easily modified

The first problem is something I really would like to be fixed, but is
by-passable. When it is all running, I can even take a look at the driver
myself. The second is more of a problem. When booting from disk I cannot
nfsmount any disk or use FTP, which means I cannot get new data to the
machine unless I reboot it using the network again.
The third ain't a real problem, I'm just curious.

I hope I can contribute to this port in the future,
and thanx all for the support so far, especially Jason and Scott,

					Elmar

--
Terror : Appropriate reaction after considering the terrain
				Henry Beard & Roy McKie, A skiers dictionary