Subject: Re: Apollo keyboard, serial drivers (announce)
To: mike smith <miff@spam.frisbee.net.au>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 04/14/1997 20:18:48
On Tue, 15 Apr 1997 04:44:33 +0930
 mike smith <miff@spam.frisbee.net.au> wrote:

 > The subject says it all.  In the file :
 >
 > ftp://spam.frisbee.net.au/pub/apollo/NetBSD/frodo.diff.gz
                             ^^^
			Well, except for this :-)

 > are drivers for NetBSD-vaguely-current for :
 >
 >  - The Apollo Utility ("frodo") chip in the HP9000/4xx series
 >    machines.
 >  - The 8250-like UARTs in the above chip.
 >  - The Apollo keyboard (both 'old' and 'new' types).

Excellent!

 > These patches alter the HIL keyboard driver to coexist, alter ite
 > in order to teach it about multiple keyboards (and to unlearn all
 > the bad things it knew about the HIL keyboard).  They also include
 > the about-to-be-committed changes that Jason derived from my
 > work for the SYS_UBOOT bootstrap.

Those changes are now committed to the master sources, and will
be available after the next SUP scan.

 > All in all, this provides for complete support for Apollo Domain
 > keyboards in bootstrap and console mode.  There has been an
 > expression of interest in making X understand these keyboards,
 > and I look forward to working with Herb to make this happen.

Most cool!  I'll take a look at these RSN.  I have been thinking of
some general changes I'd like to make to the HIL configuration code,
so when these are committed, they may be in a slightly different form,
and I may need you to test a kernel or two, since the LANCE on my 425
is still toast :-/

 > Please note, as you look over the source, that there is assorted
 > leftover cruft, particularly in the apkbd driver, which will be
 > systematically pruned.

No offense intended, but I'm going to rename this to "dnkbd", since the
label on the back of the machine is "Domain Keyboard"  :-)  The serial
port driver will indeed be called "apci", however.

BTW, at some point, I'm going to be doing a bus.h implemetation for
the hp300, in hopes of sharing the "com" driver with the i386 and
alpha ports (although, it will get moved into sys/dev/ic, and some
of those functions will get renamed :-)  At that point, I'd like
to think about doing something like the MI "zs" driver has done.  I.e.
we have the following:

	apci0 at frodo0 channel 0
		nsutty0 at apci0
	apci1 at frodo0 channel 1
		dnkbd0 at apci1
	apci2 at frodo0 channel 2
		nsutty1 at apci2

..etc.  ("nsu" == "Nat Semi UART" :-)

Dunno how practical that is at this point... we'll have to see.