Subject: Re: Apollo keyboard support (SYS_UBOOT)
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: mike smith <miff@spam.frisbee.net.au>
List: port-hp300
Date: 04/14/1997 23:30:55
Herb Peyerl wrote:

> This is cool guys! How difficult do we think it's going to be to make X
> play nice with the apollo keyboards?  Personally, I prefer the apollo
> keyboards over the HP ones with the "weird" <esc> location (amongst
> other things)... out of the 8 or so HP's that I have that I regularly
> use, only one (lager) has a comfortable keyboard.

Um, should be pretty trivial, unless X's keyboard input parser is
incredibly hairy.  As I understand it, it consumes scancodes and
generates key events; I have at various stages of development had
an open/read interface on the apkbd driver I'm working on that
disgorged scancodes (and a subdevice that did the same with
mouse packets), and I have a complete mapping of the Apollo keyboard (as
Michael J said, start at 01 at the top left and count across and down;
talk about commonsense 8).

If you want to take the keyboard side, I'll go straight for getting
my hires colour Apollo video card working under X.  I don't think
I'd survive for long on the Hyperion 8)

Right now, I'm trying to take Jason's bootstrap interface model and
make it work with the "real" ite.  I'm still a little confused
about what-goes-where, but I figure if I get something out tonight
then I can bask in the merciless humour tomorrow morning.

> Now, given that only 2 of my HP's even have Apollo keyboard ports, how much
> additional work would it be to attach a keyboard at say "dca0" or "dcm0"?
> It looks as though, with some minor wiring, one could be hooked up to a
> serial port fairly easily with the addition of a 12v power-pack...

Hanging one off dca0 would be pretty easy, as it's an 8250 UART as well.
I was _going_ to go the way the sparc kiddies do and layer the keyboard
on top of the apci driver (which is languishing but basically working),
but I couldn't wrap my brain around making it work at boot-console time.
As for the dcm; dunno, it looks like it might be a bit tougher.

> ok, so call me a hack...

No, that's one of the joys of serial-interface keyboards; I'm just
talking with someone that wants a type-5 Sun keyboard on their
PC about the same sort of stuff.

--
Mike Smith  *BSD hack  Unix hardware collector
The question "why are the fundamental laws of nature mathematical"