Subject: Re: Apollo keyboard support (SYS_UBOOT)
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@OG.ORG>
From: mike smith <miff@spam.frisbee.net.au>
List: port-hp300
Date: 04/14/1997 21:17:10
Jason Thorpe wrote:

>  > This is primarily for Jason's review, but if you have such
>  > a combination I would appreciate any feedback you may have.
>
> It looks fine, although I don't like how the apollo keyboard support
> was folded directly into hil.c.  Instead, I'd prefer an indirect
> driver that performed a primitive autoconfiguration.  That was easy
> to do, and I whipped it up.  I'd like to just go ahead and commit
> your boot block domain keyboard support if it's ok with you (I will contact
> you out-of-band regarding the copyright issues).

Please, be my guest!

> The short answer is "wscons isn't going to happen soon", so adding
> support for the domain keyboard to ITE is the "right thing" (for some
> definition of "right" :-)

"right" in that I don't want to be sitting around letting the code
get stale.  If integrating it into ite is the Right Way to Go,
then I'll do it 8)

> However, if done `correctly', only _minimal_ changes to ITE will be
> required.  I will forward you my current boot block changes that demonstrate
> how it should be done in the kernel.

Ok; looks close (but a little more structure) to what I was
doing already.  There are some yucky bits to do with having
to get at the keyboard before the intermediate hardware (frodo
etc.) is configured.  The HIL is special-cased all over the place
for this to work 8(

--
Mike Smith  *BSD hack  Unix hardware collector
The question "why are the fundamental laws of nature mathematical"